Monday, January 11, 2010

Update...

So, after a week and a half Lauren is officially on her full dose of medication. We had to start her on it slowly due to it causing upset stomachs. Now the real test starts. We have to watch and see if  she continues to have any seizures on the full dose. We have definitely seen a decrease in the amount of seizures. It's hard to tell how many she is having because you have to be looking right into her face to tell if she is having one at that moment. I didn't realize this, but when she is having a seizure she is not in a daydreaming state at all, but she is completely unconscience. ( I try not to dwell on this! ) When we think that she isn't having anymore seizures after a period of time we will get a 24 hour EEG done to see if the medication has completely stopped them or not. Pray that it completely stops them! If not, then she will have to go on an additional medication. Ugh! So far the only side effects that we have seen is that she seems to be a bit more tired and has constant blue circles under her eyes. From what I have researched, this is normal. I was doing a bit more reading about CAE, and even though it is controlled by medication, kids can still develop learning disabilities with this disorder. This made me cry! I struggled (and still do) with a learning disability. I had a very difficult time in school. Dealing with these issues is not something that I ever thought she might ever have to do. The realization that she could have learning issues is very hard for me to deal with. God is in complete control. She is not our child, but His. I just pray that if this is what our future holds then God would equip all three of us to handle it to the best of our ability. I think I need to spend some time meditating on 2 Chron. 20:15!

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Wow, Betsy, you certainly have a lot on your plate. I will pray that God gives you & Paul what you need everyday, all day. I can't imagine the concern that you must feel every moment. I'll be praying that Lauren will NOT have any kind of disability from this & that the medicine stops the seizures. If you need specific prayers, post them and I will be praying!!! Thinking of you guys!

ginmommy said...

As someone who has dealt with many "what if's" I know how scary that can be. Remembering that she is really God's child, helps. However, when it's your baby....
Please know I'm praying for you.