Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Can I do this?

Ok, people. Here is a challenge for you. Our pastor gave us a 40 day challenge this week. No, we aren't catholic, but it does coinside with lent. Think about something in your life that you give more praise to than God? Is it technology (iphone, t.v.), is it food? What do you spend most of your attention on?  Now, you don't have to give it up all together. You can just limit it a bit. You can't give up eating, but you can limit a food addiction you might have. But don't give up chocolate and substitute it with skittles either!  Anyway, my issue is that I read way to many novels. I read mystery stuff...James Patterson, Harlan Coban, Lee Child and a whole lot of christian fiction. The problem is that I should be spending more time in the Word instead of reading whatever novel I have chosen. This might sound slightly ridiculous to you, but I have a serious reading addiction. Whenever I have a free moment I read. I read four to five 300 - 400 page novels in week on top of all the books for four year olds that we have around! So, my goal is to focus more on christian non-fiction (like a biography or a book on prayer) and Bible reading instead of the fiction.  As soon as we started talking about things that we should spend less time doing, I was extremely convicted.

3 comments:

ginmommy said...

We all have things we devote WAY too much of our time to. I am totally guilty. You can do it.

Tracey said...

Yes, you can do it! :)
It's so easy to let the little things in life distract us from God. SO EASY!!

Lindsey said...

wow! you do read a lot. must be because you are a griffith. christian reads a lot too. i have been thinking about this topic lately and tv is definitely the thing for me. i watch way to many movies and flip through the channels every night. love ya!